Thursday, 27 September 2012

Cruising down the Mekong

We got taken to a brick factory. We both thought it was going to be a bit boring but far from it. It was very interesting. I had not realised that there would be factories along the Mekong but as it turns out there are lots of them, there's a part of it that is really industrial with rice, brick, husking, charcoal and wood factories.


The brick factory had man made brick built kilns. They have to re make them every seven years. The husks from rice are used to create a fire, if I am going to mention my work anywhere in this blog then it may as well be here, the husks are the biomass to ignite and the fire is kept burning for one and a half months in order to dry our tens of thousands of bricks within the furnace. The bricks are then cooled down for a further twenty days. We stood by a kiln that had been put out a week ago and it was still hot. The ash is used as fertiliser for the local farms. They make both four and two hole bricks in order to build houses on the delta. I like the fact that nothing goes to waste, the rice (that are abundant here) husks get burnt, the clay from the farmers gets turned into bricks and then the Ash gets used again by the farmers.
The guy in the photo keeps the fire burning.






Once we got back from the brick factory lunch was waiting. We had some yummy chicken, spring rolls and dipping soy sauce and some noodles with loads of different veg and squid and prawns. It was lovely and washed down with a beer.








We began cruising again and as it had stopped raining phill & I made the most out of it by sitting on the front deck and taking some snaps and drinking an ice cold beer, unusual for me I know, they didn't have any wine.


Both of us fell asleep! Amazing how stopping and doing nothing makes you tired, think the wedding planning is catching up, never mind the jetlag and dancing till gone two last night.









We got off the boat once more to explore an ancient house. The guide spoke English but to be honest me and phill did not understand everything she said. The house was owned by a couple that a film is now based upon called 'the lover'

After leaving the house we were both given a bicycle and we were off!!! No photos or video im afraid we were more concerned with road safety!
Blimey, riding a bike anywhere here is an experience, we had to go around a couple of round abouts and turns and a short highway crossing.....all very exciting. I've not ridden a bike In years. We were biking through the delta and seeing some amazing trees, chickens, padi fields, peoples homes, people washing in the water, praying, lighting incense, weeing!! It was brilliant and everyone was so friendly, shouting hello all the time. The place is odd, in a lovely way, but still odd. Some houses are massive and look posh, with a French influence and then there are the stereotypical shacks with iron roofs, more akin with what you would expect I suppose. It's just different, and that's what we came to see. Yes, there is some poverty here, some houses look like they have seen better days, some of the free range chickens look like they need fattening up, some very skinny cats and a general worn down look to a lot of the river side (apart from the posh complexes they have built) but that's the country, no point in blocking your eyes and ears off to it. Like yesterday, we saw a man who couldn't use his legs, he still had use of his arms but his legs dragged behind him as he crawled across the floor and another man who didn't have legs and was sat on a skateboard using two large tin cans as skis I suppose in order to move him around. It's hard not to feel for these people, it's hard not to feel guilty when you see the Mekong people washing in the dirty water or washing there clothes in it when me and phill spent about twenty quid on a couple of expensive cocktails last night. But I felt the same in morocco. The people here are warm and friendly and all have a smile for you, unless they are laughing at us riding a bike or getting soaked like yesterday! Cheeky sausages!

I read in a travel book that Vietnam wants to be known for its country and people and not a war. That is why I can look at the people who are less fortunate than me. We wanted to immerse ourself and we have. Yes we are having luxurious parts to this holiday but we are also trying to meet the people and learn about what the country is like now. This is why we decided not to go to the tunnels nor any war museum. I want to see a country and not a history lesson.

I have asked quite a few questions today.....
Children have to go to school from the age of six until eighteen. You have to pay for schooling once or twice a year but if you are really poor you get help from the government.
Health care is also chargeable ......all of it from dental to if you have cancer apparently so I applaud the nhs, always have anyways, I think we are very fortunate in England.
There are pink and yellow pineapples
Rice has husks
The Mekong used to be a country called champa
When riding a bike ring the bell lots and don't look and the millions of scooters riding at you at roundabouts
I am warming to beer! My tipple of the mo is 333. Vietnamese beer as I can't drink wine.


At the mo we are cruising down the delta on the look out for fireflies, I'm killing mossies for phill as he has a tendency to become a Mossi buffet! We can hear crickets in the background and it is pitch black. The crew, a four man crew are at the back of the boat steering down a black river! With the use of a torch!! At the back!!! We are at the front looking out. It's crazy, why don't they just put a light on the front of the boat?

Right, just been told about five mins until dinner by candlelight at an ancient house by the river. See ya! Gem xx

Location:Sampan

No comments:

Post a Comment